Sunday, January 31, 2016

Good Times....

Where ever you see a few Jamaicans, especially ones who have not seen each other in a long time you know you are in for some good ole' time fun. Bring out the domino table, and "run a boat." Nuff niceness about to go down!
Today at the hairdresser, like always,  there is always some conversation going on between us Jamaicans. There is some food  talk, what entertainment is on the calendar, who dead, or in the hospital, who just come from "yard" who soon go a "yard". The conversation then shifted to politics, then to how kids nowadays don't have a clue what real fun is, and how computer has enabled them to cannot do simple maths. I must say I have to agree. Before all this high tech stuff, calculations use to be done in "our heads", now without a calculator, people seem clueless when it comes to simple calculations.
The conversation then shifted to things we did as kids growing up like dandy shandy and all the OUTDOOR games we played. Some of us didn't even have TV back then because there was no electricity. Bottle lamp use to run tings. Imagine no play station or cell phone, and no facebook! My children would say they were bored when they were younger, and I would use that opportunity to tell them about when I was growing up and what we did as children, and how we never seemed to be bored.

They would look at me crazy, but they will never have the experiences of culture like I had growing up in Jamaica. It was then I decided to write a book on the Jamaican culture through the eyes of a little girl name Winnie.  I figured there were many children like mine, and their parents and grandparents were probably telling them the same stories. Winnie The Beginning  was born from that idea. I am currently in the process of writing Vol 2 which should be published this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment